Monday, September 6, 2010

Hidden Italian gems inside a Strip Mall


I'm becoming more and more convinced that the best restaurants are the little hole in the wall ones - the taco shop that looks like it could undergo some serious renovation, the sushi bar that has no name on the outside but somehow everyone knows how to find it, and delicious Italian restaurants tucked away in a strip mall.  For now, let's talk Italian (although I do have some tasty taco shops and sushi bars that I will need to discuss in the very near future).

Capone's is a small Italian Cucina that has been a Huntington Beach staple for over 17 years.  It's a family run restaurant that prides itself on homemade sauces, soups, and desserts made with only the freshest ingredients.  The restaurant is reasonably priced, and has a very homey vibe to it.  Plus, Monday and Wednesdays are 1/2 off a bottle of wine or no corkage fee if you choose to bring in your own bottle.  Not too shabby if you ask me.  But let's get to the food.

Of course, I forgot my camera when feasting on all of this Italian goodness, so a picture of Capone's entrance will have to suffice for the time being.

If you wish to start your meal with some antipasti, the Calamari Fritti with spicy marinara sauce or the Bruschetta Capone are light and especially flavorful.  I'm always a sucker for fresh bruschetta, and this is one of the best I've ever had.

For my main course, I settled on the Spaghetti Primavera - spaghetti noodles with fresh vegetables, olive oil, basil, and grilled chicken.  It was fantastic (and huge!) and seasoned perfectly.  My dining companions enjoyed Chicken Marsala, Linguine with Clams, and Penne con petit de Pollo with a balsamic glaze.  Judging by the fact that nearly all of us cleared our plates, I think it's safe to say the entrees were a hit. 

We all contemplated sampling something from the dessert tray (namely the tiramisu) but our bellies were so full and content from the delicious wine and dinner that we decided to pass.  Next time Capone's, next time.

I love meals like this when I leave feeling full but not overstuffed, and eager to come back to the restaurant to try some of their other dishes.  Good food, good friends, good night.

Capone's Cucina
19688 Beach Blvd #10

Huntington Beach, CA 92646

No comments:

Post a Comment