Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Yardhouse: A Conflicted Opinion

While this blog has mainly focused on all of my favorite Orange County eats, there are also places that leave me feeling conflicted.  The Yardhouse is one of them.



The Yardhouse is a chain restaurant/bar that prides itself on their extensive beer selection (and the fact that you can order beer by the yard).  It's the perfect place for happy hour, watching your favorite sports match, and of course, having a beer.  So why the conflict?  Quite frankly, it's the food.

I've eaten at The Yardhouse many times, and while there is absoultely nothing wrong with the food, I always leave just feeling meh.  And this is a place that even caters to gluten intolerances and other allergies so you would think I would be singing it's praises. But instead I always leave thinking "Oh Yardhouse, if only you put in a wee bit more effort."  For example, once while dining there I ordered the summer salad with chicken.  The salad arrived, but the chicken was still en route according to our server.  10 minutes later after I had already made a dent in the salad, the chicken arrived on a plate, looking like it was nuked in the microwave.  Le sigh.

And it's not that the sliders and the tuna rolls and pasta dishes don't sound enticing, but I just don't want to invest my time or money on just sub-par food.  Yes, I appreciate the fact that they list all of their nutritional information and are willing to modify for any dietary needs, but I just wish it had a little more of the "wow" factor considering the price.

For now, I will continue to go to the Yardhouse and enjoy their beverage selection and keep my fingers crossed that one day, just one day I may grow to love their menu.  As long as they don't ever serve me microwaved chicken on the side of my salad again.

No comments:

Post a Comment