Saturday, August 28, 2010

Vino, Va Bene!

I really do love a good glass of wine.  I think my love was truly born after studying abroad in Italy.  It was there that I really began to appreciate Chianti, Pinot Grigio, Pinot Noir, and the like.  When I returned to the states, I immediately sought out wine bars where I could further my appreciation.  LA has tons of gems such as Bodega, Sheddy's, and Bottle Rock to name a few.  But after moving to Orange County, I found that the area has a severe lack of wine bars.  Until I found Bacchus' Secret Cellar.

Secret is definitely the word for this wine shoppe/bar.  It's nestled away in the Quail Hill neighborhood of Orange County, stuck between a Subway and a Thai Food restaurant in the local shopping center.  Sure, the location may sound weird, but once you walk inside you forget that someone is making 6-inch subs next door.

The walls of the cellar are lined with various wines from all over the world and tucked away in one corner is a cheese case highlighting different kinds of cheeses that would go well with your wine.  There is one bar, and the rest of the space is adorned with tables, couches, and comfy chairs.  You really do feel like you are in someone's cellar and not in some trendy bar.  If you are looking for more of a homey vibe, Bacchus definitely has it.


Vino, Va Bene!

The cellar offers different wine "flights" - 3 2.5oz glasses of different red or white wines for a set price, or you can order by the glass (or bottle) off of their extensive menu.  In addition to the cheese, Bacchus also offers various meats and other small bites to enjoy with your glass of wine, and of course some very decadent-looking chocolate truffles.

Overall, I was impressed with Bacchus' Secret Cellar.  It's a good stop for a nice date night, or just a casual drink with a friend.  With so many wine varieties to choose from, I think I'll be making more than one return trip to Bacchus.

Bacchus' Secret Cellar
6735 Quail Hill Parkway
Irvine, CA 92603

No comments:

Post a Comment