Monday, September 13, 2010

Pumpkin Spice is Oh So Nice

Fall is (unofficially) here, which means it's time for everything pumpkin: pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin scones, pumpkin bread....need I go on?

Every year I'm always lured into a Starbucks or other coffeehouse/bakery establishment with the promise of delicious pumpkin baked goods and drinks.  However, since many of these treats either have some sort of corn or soy additive, I unfortunately cannot partake.

So I figured, "why not make your own pumpkin treats?"  I'll know EXACTLY what is in them, and can modify them to my liking (aka if I'm feeling healthy or indulgent). 

Now I know this blog is about the dining secrets of Orange County, but I figure it doesn't hurt to throw a recipe in there now and then.  Capiche? Capiche.

Lately I've had muffins on the brain, so clearly the logical answer was to make pumpkin muffins.  This recipe comes from one of my favorite food blogs, Smitten Kitchen, with a few modifications.

Since I don't feel like going for broke yet, this is the healthified version of pumpkin muffins.

Pumpkin Muffins (see the original recipe here)

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp baking powder (I used Hain baking powder which uses potato starch instead of corn)
1/3 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1-1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 cup agave nectar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

Preheat your oven to 350F.  Put liners in muffin cups or lightly coat muffin cups with cooking spray so they do not stick.

Combine pumpkin, oil and eggs in a large bowl.  Whisk together until smooth.  Stir in the agave nectar.

In another bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, and baking powder.  Slowly pour the dry ingredients into your pumpkin mixture.  Whisk together until everything is combined.

Divide the batter among the muffin cups and then sprinkle with additional nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice.



Bake until puffed and golden brown for 25-30 minutes.

Let muffins cool for 5 minutes, then eat and enjoy!  Yep, it's just that easy. 



Now you have a healthy breakfast treat or snack that can be enjoyed anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment