Monday, August 2, 2010

Current (food) Obsessions

I've been making my way through a lot of Orange County eats, many of them good, a very minor few not so much, and of course there are the standouts. The places and dishes you keep coming back to, or WANT to come back to time and time again. So here is the first edition of Current (food) Obsessions:

1. The Gyro Pita Sandwich at Chicken Dijon



This sandwich has fresh lamb off a skewer, tzatiki sauce, onion, tomato and lettuce all on a warm pita. And it's perfection. Oh, and only $5 bucks. Can't really beat that.

2. Sangria de la casa at Taco Rosa



When I first ordered the Sangria de la casa at Taco Rosa, I was a bit overwhelmed by the giant carafe that was set down in front of me and the waiter's insistence that I drink every last drop (I didn't). But the flavors were spot on: red wine, agave nectar, fresh watermelon and pineapple, and Grand Marinier. If you are going to go for broke, this is definitely the way to do it. Extremely close second is the classic Taco Rosa Margarita on the rocks (consumed on an entirely different evening of course).

3. The entire menu at Zinc Cafe



Ok, Zinc Cafe may be a tad overpriced, but their menu certainly justifies their Laguna Beach prices. The breakfasts are perfectly filling, the lunches hit the spot, and I can always find something in their marketplace to pick up as a treat. This is one of the few places where I literally want to try just about everything on the menu. And for someone with food allergies, this is quite a rare occurance.

4. Currant Scones with Orange Zest at Britta's Cafe (I'm noticing a cafe theme here...)

Can we just say yum? Freshly baked scones with currants and orange zest and whipped butter. Need I say more?




5. French Onion Soup at Vie de France


After parting ways with my favorite Little Next Door in Los Angeles, I feared I would never find French Onion Soup love again. Fortunately, Vie de France has filled that void, and at half the price. Rich onion soup topped with cheese and french bread. Oui oui!

Honorable Mention goes to the Irish Soda bread at Muldoons in Newport Beach.  I could eat a loaf of that. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment