Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Beer Bread and Beer Wars

The rain has made it's return to Southern California which means lots of time indoors spent lazing about, wathcing movies, and of course coming up with new and delicious things to cook.

I recently rented the movie Beer Wars on Netflix, which is about how local craft brewers are trying to make their mark in the beer industry while competing with corporate conglomerates Anheuser-Busch, Coors, and Miller.  I'm a big fan of craft brews so this documentary was defnitely appealing.  One of the most interesting parts was a blind taste test involving Bud Light, Coors Light, and Miller Light.  Nobody could tell the difference between the three beers!  Just goes to show you that "name" isn't everything, so next time you are out try a craft brew instead!  Ok, jumping off my soapbox...

After the movie I was inspired to make something I had been thinking about for awhile: Beer Bread.
This recipe is incredibly simple and literally takes 5 minutes to make.

Quick and Easy Beer Bread

12oz beer of your choice (I recommend a wheatier beer or a lager)
3 cups flour
2 tbsp baking powder
Drizzle of honey (to taste)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl.  Add in the beer.  Continue to stir until all the flour and beer is blended together.  Add in honey for a little bit of sweetness.

My pictures came out blurry so an image from wikipedia will have to suffice

Pour mixture into a 9x5 greased loaf pan.  Place pan in oven and bake from 50-60 minutes.  You will have a thick, hearty bread that goes well with pretty much anything!  I just had the bread with some butter but I think any sort of jam or preserves would go nicely as well.  Devour on a lazy afternoon, then repeat.

1 comment:

  1. I must try this. I love both beer and quick bread recipes, so this sounds amazing. I am always on the lookout for quick bread recipes to keep in my back pocket-- I don't ever want to fall into that mindset where I think that fresh homemade bread is unattainable. I love the stuff you're cooking up lately.

    ReplyDelete